Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Wednesday, 22 August 2007

Had another restless sleep ... though this time I had my crazy dream around quarter to 8 as that's approximately when I was awakened. I fell back to sleep again and woke up once more at 9am. I couldn't remember my dream this time but somehow there was a horse in it. That's probably because I was watching West Life videos on youtube last night while waiting for the news to come on. Just goes to show that too much of reminiscing about the past isn't always a good thing as bits might get lodged in your memory in new ways and come back to haunt you. Still, it was a ludicrous video though. They were pretending to be musketeers of some sort. Haha ...

It's a quarter to 11 now and I've done my morning routine of breakfast, paper, emails, facebook and now I'm a little stuck for something to do. I might read a bit but I'm not sure I feel up to reading as I keep yawning. I guess that's probably because I haven't had restful sleep. Later this afternoon, I shall ring the visa call centre to check if my application is ready for collection. They said to ring on the 4th working day to check if it's ready for collection on the 5th working day which is tomorrow. So I shall ring just after lunch. I hope it's ready. If nothing else, just so I don't have to call them again tomorrow to check as the call centre is in Malaysia and the website is being overhauled/upgraded/some other IT related jargon so I have to ring up to find out. They used to ring us up once they had our passports but well, I guess that must have gotten too expensive.

I didn't get to bed till around midnight last night. My mum was telling me various family stuff and issues and she also told me about how her schoolmates and her once went to the temple near their old school to get their fortunes told for fun. There were 6 of them altogether but she only remembered the fortunes of 2 others and her own. The first was of a hotelier friend - she was told that she had good fortune, that she'd never have to worry about money, she'd always have enough and more of everything and true enough, she's a hotelier and things have generally gone ok for her. Though obviously there are some things that can't have been too smooth sailing as her husband died young and her 3 daughters are unmarried except for 1. So one has to take these fortunes with a pinch of salt I guess. They're very general after all. The second one was told that she would not be a first wife but a second wife. That came true. As for my mum, she was told that she wouldn't have an easy life if she got married. If she didn't marry, she'd be as successful as anyone could be but if she did, she would have to suffer because in her past life, she was a little nun and a naughty one too as she killed a little bird so she would have to spend this life repenting.

Now, legends and myths generally need a little peppering of imagination and it suddenly occurred to me that if one wanted to muse on the topic of fortunes and karma, etc. Would I be the little bird that has come back to haunt her present life, well not haunt in a bad way but perhaps like a reminder. After all, my name is Snow Swallow and a swallow is a little bird. Maybe the moral of the story is to not kill little birds.

I don't know. You can never prove these things and sometimes I think perhaps different fortune tellers will tell different fortunes so it's a bit like horoscopes, interesting to read, pretty general but never quite agreeing on details. Like when they tell you this is the right time for you to put decisions you've been thinking about into actions and you'll come out tops. You read it and you think ooh, great, time to take action but then you think again and actually you haven't really been making decisions at all so hmm. decisions? What decisions? Actions? What actions?

It's a cloudy day again today - yellowy grey. Everything is bathed in a yellowy grey light, and shadows are brown with hints of ebony in stronger ones and ochre in the lighter ones.

No comments: