Gmail seems to be playing up these days and I can hardly get to my emails which is a bit of a pain. Luckily there's still facebook so I can nosy about other people's lives by looking at their photos and status updates. Today was quite a pleasant day. It was sunny for one, which makes a big difference as it's very troublesome to traipse around town with an umbrella and in a semi-drenched state. We may be an island but it's not quite island living idyll when you're not on a beach in flipflops but in town getting sloshed and splashed by dirty water then getting chilled in the shopping mall.
So it was good that it was sunny today. Plus my friends Fongtien and June were about an hour and a half late for lunch ... sunshine always makes things more bearable. When we finally met up at about half past 2 instead of 1pm, we had Taiwanese style beef noodles and bubble tea which was very nice and cooling. The noodles were very nicely cooked in steamy fragrant beef broth and I had some soya bean milk while waiting for them to stave off hunger pangs so I wasn't too hungry. A hungry woman is an angry woman.
We chatted about lots of stuff, about work - they're both journos so I got some insider information about where I could possibly work and was also exhorted to keep that as a last resort - we were classmates in secondary school so it was nice to have that connection that goes back a long way. Plus we kept in touch through junior college and then we all went to Warwick together. I found out something which made me smile today - June was talking about Final Fling and then she mentioned how Fongtien's friend Richard from Economics was aghast when he saw me with Finch. He thought I was hot (haha) and so what on earth was I doing with him?! That's funny. But it's true that Finch is a real geek. But love makes fools of us all. Oh well eh. Anyway I think it's only because of that dress I was wearing. It's pretty much my only black tie party dress. It's a cocktail dress and I've worn it 4 times now I think. Jon bought it for me (I chose it though hmmph) as he was throwing his 21st birthday do and he was doing it blacktie and I had to wear a dress. So we went around looking for stuff and while we were at Selfridges in Birmingham, at about closing time I finally found this dress in the right size hanging on the sale rack in the Karen Millen concession. I love getting a bargain. It's worked out really well too as I wore it to the 21st party, then to a blacktie do in Oxford, then to Final Fling graduation ball at Warwick and then I wore it again on a boat trip with the boys that Emily had arranged and ooh the fifth time I wore it was to the Royal Chelsea Hospital do. That works out at 15 pounds per wear hahaha...
I'm such a miser.
Anyway, it made me feel smiley inside as Richard was quite a good-looking guy and usually good-looking people are too busy to look at other good-looking people in their own league to care for other people. And I regard myself as one of the plain people so it's a silly school-girly response to getting noticed by someone whom you'd think wouldn't really take a second look at someone like me. Anyway I'm making too much a big deal about it. Gosh I'm regressing in my mental state while piling on the years physically. Oh dear.
Dress can really make a difference though. Dress and fashion is an attitude and I am hoping to buy a few pieces to add to my wardrobe that are quite formal-looking. A pencil skirt and two blouses. Unfortunately the pencil skirt seems to be out of stock - everyone's into power dressing evidently - so I might not be able to get that. The other two pieces are a (1) a dusty pink blouse with a bow tied at the neckline - not too girly colour, fiesty feminine, passive aggressive colour with a Victorian take on fastening with the high neck - and (2) a gathered pleated sleeveless blouse with hints of tailoring but random black ribbons that give it an edgy rock chic take - that's quite a high neck too but it looks different and alternative, not frilly but pleated. And then there's the slate denim pencil skirt ... I hope there's still stock when I go to the mall tomorrow. I'm getting my glasses adjusted and mum's going to make a new pair so let's see if there's still my size ...
The choices so far are leaning toward a masculine style I think but today I was seduced by a tube top with smocking ... it's such a cute little summery top in a lovely blue-based print ... I might get it too. Save it for summer if it ever comes! Sigh. Anyway, we'll see if any of these items are still in stock in my size when I finally stop deliberating and decide to make the purchase. Haha this is probably my most girly post thus far. I tend to feel less than girly when I meet other girls, like Dave's / Rob's girlfriends and their friends. They're all so feminine whereas I feel somewhat like they've grown up into women and I'm still rough round the edges, walking everywhere in flat shoes very quickly, never ever had a pedicure or manicure or those things that are nice and girly ... they sound painful to me and expensive too! But JA says I'm naturally graceful and I'm a benchmark for the girlfriends (haha it makes me laugh, I feel a bit like a mule around the dainty long-haired girls in their heels and me in my birkenstocks, hair rolled up just so it stays away from my neck and doesn't make me hot, half a day's worth of pollution stuck to my face ... looking at the girls around me in Singapore, it's no wonder so many caucasians like asian girls, stereotypical asian femininity, orientalism, etc ... ). Hmm I wonder what will happen to JA's chinese girl.
Men can be so heartless sometimes. Women can be so crazy sometimes too. There's nowt as queer as folk.
No comments:
Post a Comment